Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday 11/20/2008

WOD
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of:
Standing Russian Barbell Twist
American KB Swing (24 kg)
1-Arm Ring Row (R)
1-Arm Ring Row (L)

WOD: Charge
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of:
Double KB Front Squat (30#)
Double KB Push Press
Perform 15 Double KB Walking Lunge Steps between rounds.

Patty and I were so geeked about our new Rogue Hi-Temp bumpers and Pendlay weightlifting bars (which just arrived today) that we put them to task immediately with the following workout:

WOD
"Diane"
21-15-9 reps of:
Deadlift (185#)
Handstand Pushup

Time: 8:42

I mistook the women's Rx'd weight for this workout as being 185# -- it should have been 155#! Oh well. It's a good thing, right?

Finished the day off coaching the kids' sports performance training class. I count myself lucky to have the opportunity to work with these kids, because I learn so much from them, and how to be a better trainer. Patty and I have been marveling at the rapid progress that they've made since they first stepped into Joust. Today I had the privilege of working closely with two of the most motivated kids -- we taught them deadlifts, a much-maligned strength move in school-level athletics due to the perceived risks (hogwash, of course), and capped the session with a kettlebell workout and some good ol' ball toss situps. These kids are go-getters, and not afraid to knuckle down and gut it out for a spot on the starting lineup. Seeing the fire in their eyes caused old memories to resurface -- having stood in their place myself in the not-so-distant-past, I'm committed to doing what I can to see these kids' dreams through to fruition.

***
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
- A.A. Milne

No comments: